Vendor Landscape: Multifunction Printers
Making an informed decision about your MFP requires an analysis of all the "fax."
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: August 22, 2012
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Enterprises that integrate printing functionality into their overall workflow processes are achieving higher levels of user satisfaction and increased cost effectiveness.
- The MFP market is highly commoditized, making it difficult to differentiate vendor products and functionality. Without knowledge of this space, enterprises run the risk of choosing a less optimal vendor and solution for their requirements.
- Enterprises should consider emerging trends such as BYOD and Green IT before choosing a product and vendor.
- Because every vendor has the basic Table Stakes, differentiate on price, customer service, and vendor stability.
- Each vendor offers some mix of advanced features. Evaluate your organizational needs to determine which features are necessary for you now and in the future. Avoid paying for extra features that may not be required.
- A careful evaluation of the MFP space will lead to enhanced functionality, smoother integration, improved user satisfaction, and cost effectiveness.
Impact and Result
- Identify and rank vendor offerings in the MFP market space. Understand the Table Stakes and nuanced differences between the vendors.
- Evaluate MFP vendors and products to determine the right fit for your enterprise needs.
- Select an MFP solution by providing additional scenario-based criteria.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Evaluate MFP vendors and available solutions
Understand the MFP market, the players, and their products.
Identify the solutions that best fit enterprise needs
Develop a customized shortlist to speed solution selection.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Develop an Enterprise Windows Migration and Deployment Plan
Develop & Enforce Policies that Securely Enable a Mobile Workforce
Create a Consumer Technology Integration Plan in Five Steps
Create a Practical BYOE Action Plan
Stop Managing Endpoints
Develop a Desktop Virtualization Strategy
Take Steps to Successful VDI Implementation
Vendor Landscape: Desktop Virtualization
Prepare For a New World of Workforce Computing
Architect the Mobile Strategy in Two Days
Create a Corporate Personal Cloud Vision in Two Days
Develop a Mobile Management Strategy
Enable a Truly Mobile Workforce
Vendor Landscape: Mobile Device Management Suites
Consider BYOC as Part of a Desktop-as-a-Service Strategy
Transition to BYOD and Beyond
Secure the Network in a BYOD World
Understand and Manage Consumerization
Integrate Consumer Applications into IT
Tackle the Technology of Consumerization
Reduce Costs through Printer Consolidation
Incorporate Mobile into the Enterprise Print Strategy
Plan, Select, and Deploy Windows 7 the Right Way
Switch Mobile Platforms