Investigate Alternative Office Suites
Do we have the wrong product or did we just overbuy MS Office?
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: May 18, 2010
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Organizations spend a lot of money renewing their Microsoft Software Assurance and Enterprise Agreements for Microsoft Office.
- Most organizations don't upgrade MS Office every three years upon release of a new version, due to a lack of must-have features.
- Justifying continued investment in MS Office, with prices remaining steady, is becoming more difficult when there are cheaper SaaS or even free alternatives.
- Most organizations will not realize a reduction in costs through an enterprise-wide migration from MS Office to an alternative, because non-monetary barriers to switching are too great.
- However, money-saving opportunities exist for many organizations by implementing a limited deployment of an alternative to targeted groups, while keeping MS Office for most users to reduce the overall number of Office seats.
- When the deployment of an alternative suite is validated, OpenOffice is the alternative of choice. No other alternative suite stands up to the features and familiar feel of OpenOffice.
- Successful limited deployment requires a formal plan to communicate the migration to management and end users.
Impact and Result
- Understand the major differences between MS Office and alternative desktop productivity suites.
- Compare total cost of ownership for different products.
- Assess hybrid desktop productivity strategies,employing both locally installed alternatives and on-demand products, to reduce the cost of Microsoft Office instead of totally replacing it.
- Communicate the results and ensure a smooth implementation when deploying an alternative office suite.
Get to Action
Understand the barriers to switching office suites.
Make the right deployment decision and communicate results.
Assess alternative office suite deployment opportunities within your organization.
Justify staying with MS Office, deploying a limited number of alternative office seats, or deploying an office alternative enterprise-wide.
Companies Who Helped
- Brigham Oil & Gas
- Dresser-Rand Company
- Elections BC
- Kansas State Government
- Wexler Video