- Chandra Sekar, Citrix
- Phil Martin, Montgomery County
- Ray Allen, Ellis Don Corporation
- With the complexity of mobility increasing in most organizations, enterprise mobility management (EMM) is becoming necessary to manage devices, as well as all aspects of mobility.
- While EMM might seem simple from the outside, it has many moving parts. It covers devices, applications, data, security, policies, financial management, and help desk management.
- Without a detailed implementation plan to mitigate issues such as missing components, an unprepared IT department and help desk, and low end-user adoption, IT will find it difficult to ensure a successful launch.
- Mobility within organizations continues to grow more complex, and requirements for managing mobility now extend far beyond the device itself.
- As BYOD continues to grow and new products are released into the market, EMM will become a necessary tool for long-term sustainability and effective use of mobility.
- Without a proper implementation plan in place, organizations will find it difficult to achieve a suitable, unified solution for short and long-term sustainability of mobile management.
Impact and Result
- Prepare the organization for mobility by developing an implementation plan that covers EMM from start to finish, including selecting a vendor, managing help desk changes, engaging users, and developing an actionable timeline.
- Create a tailored solution for the unique needs of your organization.
1. Make the case for implementing EMM
Push the importance of a successful EMM implementation.
2. Assess the current EMM state
Identify areas in the organization that will be most affected and improved by EMM.
3. Begin constructing the plan, then choose an EMM vendor
Ensure the solution you choose fully matches your mobility needs.
4. Prepare IT and the help desk as part of the implementation plan
Ensure help desk can manage and lead the EMM solution.
5. Prepare users as part of the implementation plan
Train end users on new practices and push for continued adoption of EMM.
6. Communicate the EMM implementation plan
Gain acceptance from executives and key stakeholders.
7. Assess success and re-evaluate EMM regularly
Gauge the success of the EMM implementation through the use of Info-Tech’s EMM metrics.
This guided implementation is a three call advisory process.
Call #1 - Develop a shortlist of potential EMM vendors
Go over the current state of mobility of your organization. Use this information along with Into-Tech’s tools to develop a shortlist of EMM vendors which are suitable to fulfill the needs of your organization.
Call #2 - Prepare the organization for the introduction of EMM
Introduce the necessary changes for IT and help desk to prepare for EMM. Go over expectations and brainstorm ways to prepare IT and help desk. Select a suitable pilot group and develop a plan to assist end-user buy-in, adoption, and training for EMM.
Call #3 - Complete an EMM implementation plan
Finalize the inputs and details of your EMM implementation plan in order to move forward with receiving buy-in from key stakeholders for launch of the project. Discuss suitable timelines for the project and review the completed implementation plan.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Develop a shortlist of potential EMM vendors
- Determine the current state of mobility in your organization.
- Use Info-Tech’s tools to develop a shortlist of EMM vendors that are suitable to the needs of your organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A better understanding of end users’ attitudes towards mobility.
- A snapshot of help desk’s current ability to solve mobile issues.
- A summary of the current state of mobility in your organization.
Go over sections 1 to 3 of the storyboard
- An overview of the key benefits of EMM
Complete the EMM End-User Satisfaction Survey Template
- An understanding of end users’ mobility needs and a potential pilot group
Record results in the EMM Help Desk Metrics Reporting Tool
- A view of help desk’s current ability to solve mobile issues
Complete the EMM Current State Summary Tool
- A summary of the mobile situation in your organization
Review Info-Tech’s MDM Vendor Landscape
Complete the EMM Vendor Shortlist & Detailed Feature Analysis Tool
- A customized shortlist of EMM vendors tailored to your organization’s needs
Complete the EMM TCO Calculator
- A rough calculation of the cost of implementing EMM
Module 2: Prepare your organization for the introduction of EMM
- Ensure that IT, help desk, and end users are adequately prepared and ready to take advantage of EMM once it is introduced into the organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Better allocation of IT and help desk in order to more efficiently solve mobile issues.
- Training practices to better prepare IT and help desk to use EMM.
- The creation of a steering team to guide EMM’s implementation and care.
- A strategy to train users and gain buy-in for EMM.
- Consideration of suitable policies surrounding mobility and EMM.
Go over sections 4 and 5 of the storyboard
Complete the EMM Help Desk Role Chart
- A plan for adapting IT and help desk to changes brought about by EMM
Use the EMM Steering Committee Chart to select a steering committee
- A finalized steering committee to guide the development of EMM
Consider using Info-Tech’s mobile device policy and training templates
- A finalized pilot group to test out EMM
- A start in developing mobile policies that align with the organization and end users
- An understanding of best practices on end user training, engagement and deployment of EMM
Module 3: Complete an EMM implementation plan
- Develop and refine an EMM implementation plan to ensure buy-in is received from key stakeholders and the implementation process is successful from start to finish.
Key Benefits Achieved
- An easy to reference planning document outlining all the requirements and considerations when implementing EMM in the organization.
- Buy-in by executives and key stakeholders through the use of a well thought-out plan for EMM.
Go over sections 6 and 7 of the storyboard
Complete and refine the EMM Implementation Plan Template
- A completed EMM implementation plan which includes a mini business case, feature requirements, vendor recommendations, policy revisions, training requirements, implementation timeline and responsibilities