- Recognition is often viewed as an implied state – “my employees know I appreciate them.”
- Even though it doesn’t take much time to send someone a brief thank you, managers feel that it’s time taken away from productive work.
- Peers don’t really consider the importance of saying "thank you" to their teammates.
- Recognition is often put on the back burner for “more important tasks.”
Recognition is a significant employee engagement driver. For every 10% increase in recognition:
- The engagement score increases by 3.6%.
- The performance commitment score increases by 4.7%.
- The intent to stay score increases by 10%.
Impact and Result
- To realize the benefits of recognition, and maintain them, you need to create a culture of recognition within your IT department.
- Empower your staff and managers to recognize one another on an ad hoc basis in order to ingrain the notion of appreciation.
- Make recognition a part of the day-to-day operations of your IT department.
- Lead by example; make sure you take time to recognize your staff in meaningful, consistent, and personalized ways.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should create a culture of recognition, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
1. Launch the recognition project
Make the case for recognition revitalization and determine if your IT department is struggling with recognition.
2. Plan for improved recognition
Conduct IT leadership planning and training workshop.
3. Implement a recognition program
Communicate and implement the recognition program to employees.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Launch the recognition project
Call #1 - Make the case for recognition.
Call #2 - Launch recognition project.
Guided Implementation #2 - Plan the recognition program
Call #1 - Plan your program.
Call #2 - Determine desired behaviors.
Guided Implementation #3 - Implement the recognition program
Call #1 - Communicate plan.
Call #2 - Implement personalized tactics.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Build Your Recognition Program
- Understand the keys to a successful recognition program.
- Identify pains related to recognition and define tactics to mitigate these pains.
- Define key behaviors to recognize.
- Determine right-sized recognition tactics to recognize positive behaviors.
- Build recognition toolkits to make recognition easy.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Defined program vision statement.
- Identified metrics.
- Clearly defined behaviors that you will recognize.
- Determined recognition tactics.
- A personalized recognition toolkit to provide to management.
Identify recognition characteristics.
Identify current pains.
Build recognition vision statement.
- Recognition Vision Statement
Analyze current state.
Define key metrics.
- Program Metrics
Determine recognition behaviors.
- Recognition Handbook
Build recognition toolkit.
- Recognition Toolkit