Build a Right-Sized Service Desk for Small Enterprise
Invest in light tools and processes that you can sustain.
- Service Managers in small enterprise (SE) IT shops are generalists who provide a full suite of IT services with limited resources.
- They know that service desk effectiveness is one of the most important contributors to end-user satisfaction, and they work hard to provide service that empowers the organization to achieve its strategic goals.
- However, they lack the staff, tools, and budget to deliver the quality service that end users expect. They often rely on email, spreadsheets, and homegrown solutions to manage IT requests and resolve device and system issues.
- They struggle to get out of firefighter mode, provide effective service support, and retain talented staff.
- Adapt service desk processes that match the organization’s maturity. Unless IT has the discipline to implement ITIL, you may be better off with light processes that the department can sustain.
Impact and Result
- Put light processes in place to improve the effectiveness of the service desk without eating up the department’s limited financial resources.
- Empower users to address issues on their own, address requests and incidents effectively, and generate reports quickly to track performance and demonstrate the value of IT to business leaders.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should build a right-sized service desk, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Plan a strategy to align service desk improvements to organizational goals
Communicate the value of improving the service desk, and align high priority efforts for service desk improvement with organizational goals.
Design an action plan to guide next steps
Resist the temptation to select a service desk solution before you design processes. The initial work will help set the requirements for the right tool you need to support the processes you plan to put in place.
Execute the service desk action plan
Finalize the project action and executive presentation. Ensure you deliver the right message to the right audience.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Plan a Quick Service Desk Strategy
- Make the case to build a better small enterprise (SE) service desk.
- Develop a service desk strategy.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Garner support for the service desk initiative.
- Identify high priority efforts.
Brainstorm service desk challenges
- List of potential improvements
Draft an executive presentation
- Executive support for the initiative
Module 2: Design an Action Plan to Guide Next Steps
- Review the service desk structure and reporting requirements.
- Standardize best practice incident management processes.
- Design a knowledgebase.
- Standardize best practice service request management processes.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Rationalize service desk roles and increase efficiency.
- Foreground critical issues.
- Document known-errors and workarounds, and provide end users with a self-serve option.
- Develop a consistent service offering and prepare for a future service catalog.
List IT roles related to service desk
- List of roles and responsibilities
Review ticket categorization scheme
- Validated ticket categorization scheme
Identify reports that management requires
- List of required reports
Create a decision rights matrix
- Decision rights
Build ticket prioritization rules
- List of ticket prioritization rules
Define escalation rules
- List of escalation rules
Define incident management workflow
- Incident management workflow
Define service management workflow
- Service management workflow
Identify potential knowledgebase articles
- Five high-impact knowledgebase articles
Module 3: Execute the Service Desk Action Plan
- Review service desk tool requirements.
- Review standard operating procedures.
- Review the action plan.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Ensure the tool meets requirements.
- Capture the new service desk processes.
- Plan next steps.
Organize your tool procurement
- List of requirements and demo script
Review project timelines
- Service desk action plan