When implementing a new third-party application, most organizations contract either the software provider or an independent system integrator to handle a number of activities that require in-depth understanding of the software. The odds of success in these initiatives are significantly improved when IT is actively involved with the service provider and takes on overall project management responsibility.
This note covers a number of recommended practices for the effective coordination of participants involved in the deployment of new packaged software. These include approaches to ensure that:
- The responsibilities of the business units, the system integrator, and IT are clear, complete, and complementary.
- All required software and associated hardware are configured and customized to achieve complete and effective new business processes.
- The project is completed on time.
- The quality of the system at implementation meets expectations.
- Integration costs are in line with initial estimates.
Reduce the risks of quality, timing, and cost by regularly evaluating integrator progress against organizational milestones.