Already a member? Sign In.
Need help? Our Trial Membership program will get you help on any IT project you're working on. You'll get access to our research, tools, advice and project help.
Business - IT Strategic Alignment
The purpose of Business – IT Alignment is to optimize the value that IT contributes to the enterprise. As such, in order to successfully outline a strategic IT roadmap, it is important to start here. An organization has successfully aligned IT strategy to business strategy when there is:
- A shared understanding of how IT applications, technologies and services will contribute to business objectives – today and in the future.
- A shared focus on where to expend scarce resources, time and money; the tradeoffs the enterprise is prepared to make.
- A credible working relationship between the IT organization and the rest of the business evidenced by reliable daily operations, responsive problem management and predictable, innovative solution delivery.
Business – IT Alignment is achieved through the completion of four main steps:
- Set Conditions to Achieve Alignment
- Scan for Potentially Enabling Technologies
- Determine IT Value Imperatives
- Develop IT Vision and Mission
When you have completed the Business – IT Alignment program you will have:
- Support from key executives to participate in developing the IT Strategy.
- An understanding of how emerging technologies, applications and trends can or will impact your enterprise and your IT organization.
- Clear expectations of how IT will contribute to reaching the company’s business goals and objectives.
- A defined articulation of IT’s role in, and value to, the enterprise for the strategic horizon.
Business – IT Alignment should be revisited periodically, at least annually, or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction.
Bundle 1 of 5
|FastTrack Activity||Business and IT Strategic Alignment FastTrack|
|Obtain Stakeholder Support||Stakeholder Guidelines and Analysis|
|Document Strategic Business Objectives||
Business Executive Interview Guide
Assessing Enterprise Strategy
Enterprise Strategy and Goals
Key Success Factors Analysis Tool
|Develop IT Value Imperatives||IT Imperatives|
|Set Parameters of the IT Strategy||IT Strategy and Roadmap Scope Statement|
|Launch IT Strategy Initiatives||Kickoff Meeting Template|
|Scan for Potential Business Enabling Technologies||Technology Monitor|
|Conduct IT Visioning Working Session||IT Vision Meeting Agenda|
|Articulate IT's Role, Objectives and Values||IT Vision and Mission Statements Template|