Business - IT Strategic Alignment
The purpose of Business – IT Alignment is to optimize the value that IT contributes to the enterprise. As such, in order to successfully outline a strategic IT roadmap, it is important to start here. An organization has successfully aligned IT strategy to business strategy when there is:
- A shared understanding of how IT applications, technologies and services will contribute to business objectives – today and in the future.
- A shared focus on where to expend scarce resources, time and money; the tradeoffs the enterprise is prepared to make.
- A credible working relationship between the IT organization and the rest of the business evidenced by reliable daily operations, responsive problem management and predictable, innovative solution delivery.
Business – IT Alignment is achieved through the completion of four main steps:
- Set Conditions to Achieve Alignment
- Scan for Potentially Enabling Technologies
- Determine IT Value Imperatives
- Develop IT Vision and Mission
When you have completed the Business – IT Alignment program you will have:
- Support from key executives to participate in developing the IT Strategy.
- An understanding of how emerging technologies, applications and trends can or will impact your enterprise and your IT organization.
- Clear expectations of how IT will contribute to reaching the company’s business goals and objectives.
- A defined articulation of IT’s role in, and value to, the enterprise for the strategic horizon.
Business – IT Alignment should be revisited periodically, at least annually, or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction.
Bundle 1 of 5
|FastTrack Activity||Business and IT Strategic Alignment FastTrack|
|Obtain Stakeholder Support||Stakeholder Guidelines and Analysis|
|Document Strategic Business Objectives||
Business Executive Interview Guide
Assessing Enterprise Strategy
Enterprise Strategy and Goals
Key Success Factors Analysis Tool
|Develop IT Value Imperatives||IT Imperatives|
|Set Parameters of the IT Strategy||IT Strategy and Roadmap Scope Statement|
|Launch IT Strategy Initiatives||Kickoff Meeting Template|
|Scan for Potential Business Enabling Technologies||Technology Monitor|
|Conduct IT Visioning Working Session||IT Vision Meeting Agenda|
|Articulate IT's Role, Objectives and Values||IT Vision and Mission Statements Template|